Wednesday, April 05, 2006

曹格


Finally I have 曹格's songs on my hands.

Ever since his debut with 光良 in 少年 (what a lovely song!), I knew he's somebody to be reckoned with. Then during the past few months, I've heard and read from diff sources about how good he sings, how good his songs are, how he's the closest thing to David Tao, how he's better than Jay Zhou...

曹格 definitely has a beautiful voice. Very clear, easy to listen to, and has character.

But is he DT #2? Comparing their 1st albums, I doubt it. 曹's lacks the "WOW". Maybe it's because I've been spoiled by DT's excellence. Maybe it's unfair to compare.

But is he better than JZ? I don't know. I don't think J is such a good singer to begin with. J has distinctive rythm. Second to none, at least in the Chinese market.

I'm glad that there's one more superb singer on the Chinese pop scene. Besides DT, JZ, of course there's LeeHom.

I just hope 曹 doesn't become another forgotten beautiful voice. Thousands can sing: in choirs, in bars, in showers, as backups; but only 4 or 5 can be true stars.

---

Side note. 曹 has long hair for a reason. Same reason that DT has long hair.

No comments: