Sunday, May 27, 2007

NY Day 1: 1 cup happy, 2 tps bitter, 3 L anger

Thank you Biu Goh (aka Wayne) for giving me a ride to the airport. What friends are for. (Every time I think about this, I am very thankful that everywhere I go, I meet generous ppl.)

When I arrived at the airport, it was empty. I expected the airport at 915am on a Saturday morning to be busier than a completely empty Air Canada line-up. For 3 opened counters (NY, LA, Cancun), I was the only customer. I didn't complain.

Same thing through the customs area. Actually, the entire airport was pretty quiet all the way. I mean, all the way to JFK in NY. I mean, all the way to my Kai Ma's house. Smoother than a pretty girl's skin.

After my arrival though, things got a little bit sour.

They were waiting for me for dinner. The food wasn't great, I guess por-por wasn't in the mood of cooking. Kai-ma husband not in the mood of eating. Son #1 didn't come home (more on him later), Son #2 brought huge boobs gf (more on him now).

Son #2 and his Irish boober gave me a ride home. They stayed for dinner, she even tried the unpronounceable Chinese food. However, they left w/o talking to Kai-Ma. I later learned from por-por that the Irish boober has total control of Son #2. He rarely spends time at home, she doesn't let him. (Time for Chinese wisdom: Dumb man lets woman pull him by his nostrils.)

Son #1 hooked with an Arkansas girl 3 years back. After the hook-up, a baby was born (more about him later). Neither of them did much schooling, both aren't smart. Their lives consist of drinking, clubbing, and dumping their son at KaiMa's place whenever they feel like, which is unamazingly frequent.

Little baby is almost 3 now. Very smart kid. Very cute and lovely. He speaks Chinese very well, and he automatically switches to Eng when he sees white ppl. Even I can't do it that quickly. He's extremely active, and desperate of love. I guess if my parents constantly abandon me, I would be as insecure as he is. Simply put, he must be accompanied at all times.

After the son-abandonment episode at 1045pm, I suggested that I follow Son #1 and catch up. (Actually, the evil part of me wanted to know what happened to Son#1, and wanted to learn about his wife.) The 5 of us (me, Son#1, wife, wife's friend, Son#1's colleague) went to a bar. The four of them aren't talkative, just standing there in the middle of the bar. Aimless drinking, mindless conversations. After 3 hours, we left and went to a diner. Again, stupid dialogues went on and on. I'm pretty good with conversing with strangers, but tonite, I didn't have much to say. At 3am, I arrived home. All thru the 5 hours, I kept saying to myself, "so you chose this over your son? The son who cries real tears every time you close the door on him? You chose this over your son?!?!" Oh his wife is pretty hot, pretty good looking, very foul mouth, pretty dumb, and doesn't smoke.

Needless to say, I was pretty angry. Angry at Son#2, angry at Son#1, angry at my KaiMa for spoiling them, angry at myself being so helpless.

My KaiMa's condition is better than I expected. (In my mind, I thought I would be seeing a dried human body who can barely talk.) She can walk, actually, limp. She can talk. She can think. She can eat (soft food). She is optimistic. She is fighting. She is very happy to see me. On the flip side, she's in constant pain. She can't move her left leg much. The cancer has spread to her lungs and spine. The cancer is stage 4, serious stuff.

I just convinced (or beg) her to leave the house with me. (Her family never takes her out except to the hospital.) I also asked KaiMa husband (expert mechanic) to modify her walker-seater for her so she can sit comfortably when outdoors. In 10 minutes, we'll be heading to a Cha-Chaan-Teng. "We" means (me, KaiMa, KaiMa husband, and por-por. Irish boober directed Son#2 to Bronx, and Son#1 is touring Manhattan with wife and her friend.)

I feel a very bitter happiness.

No comments: