Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Who says you're not going on a shopping trip?

I know my co-workers aren't my friends. (Well, except for Edith, who is very nice to me.)

Maybe it's the nature of the job, or maybe it's just human nature, I find our colleagues are very speculative of each other. When somebody calls in sick, we immediately associate the sickness as a pretentious one, that the person merely wanted a long weekend. When somebody comes in late, it's because he's lazy. When somebody is allergic to bananas or perfume, it's because she's lying to catch attention.

As I shared the horrible news with my teammates and my sup, some "are you ok"s came my way. Today, the attitude morphed into, "so you're getting a week of? so you're flying to NY? how do I know you didn't make the whole story up and this NY thing is just a shopping spree?"

I know my co-workers aren't my friends. I wasn't hurt by their lack of sympathy; rather by our own states of mind that everybody is only out to get his benefits, and nobody is trustworthy.

No comments: