Sunday, May 06, 2007

One year anniversaire

If me not mistaken, today is the one year anniversary of my new life in C-town.

I'm not a "what-if" person, but on this issue, I often ask myself.

I ask what if, in 2005, I chose to work for the ergonomic research firm in U of Michigan instead of the Health & Safety job in Toronto. Would I have settled in the States instead (and earn almost double salary)? Well no idea. But I definitely would not have made friends with all my TO buddies, reunited with Jai + Ling + Stephy, or gotten the Calgary job I have now.

Then, upon my graduation in 2005, what if, I accepted the Masters degree offer in HK? Would I have stayed and finished it? Well maybe. In my 2 months vacation, I felt a strong connection with my birthplace, I felt a desire to live with (or close to) my parents. I missed them, I missed my childhood friends. But then, I've never entertained the thought of working in HK.

After I returned to Vancouver in Feb 2006, what if, I caved in to the pressure of finding a job fast, and not stuck to my goal of landing a job in my field? Would I now be working for eBay, PayPal, or HSBC as a bank teller (and make enough to only feed myself once a day)? Very likely. I was so soo sooo close to giving up, albeit it was only after 1 month of job search. But I didn't, because somewhere deep inside, I felt I was destined for something else (or just that I was arrogant as usual).

Then after Calgary made me this nice offer to move to C-town, what if, I didn't accept it? I worked in C-town once before. I liked my friends; but not the city, not the atmosphere, not the environment. If I didn't take that job, I definitely would not be in my new home blogging right now. If I didn't take that job, I would not have left my city and my closies behind. It's tough. But then, if I had stayed, and not found a good job, would I deem myself a failure? Or just like every other ordinary body that's paying $1.30 per litre gas in beautiful Vancouver? Maybe. Or I might just move back to HK then.

Now that I'm here, I ask, when will I study for my M Deg? Will I ever move back to V-City? Or HK? Or be in the same city as my parents?

Or own a Porsche? M3? How about my Audi RS4 wagon? And my gigantic house?

Hmm.

No comments: