Monday, May 28, 2007

NY Day 3: 2 Become 1

Before I arrived, I thought KaiMa's family had already knew of her situation. Today, I found out that they didn't. They haven't asked the doctor many (or any) questions, and unfortunately, the doctor never told them anything important.

All they know is her cancer is at phase 4. It is terminal. It is in her lungs and spine.

When I asked them of her treatment options, they don't know. Expected outcome? Don't know. Treatment length? Don't know. Side effects? Don't know. What they know is they're trying everything. She sees this cancer doctor at the hospital, also sees this Chinese doctor at Chinatown; she takes many pills and pain killers everyday, and drinks bowls of Chinese herbs. They haven't discussed any of this to her doctor in any detailed manner.

I tried to suggest a reasonable way to approach this cancer. I even wrote down a list of questions to ask the doctors. She didn't want to hear. Por por didn't want to hear. Uncle said outright that KaiMa will be cured after the summer's over, so we don't need to waste much energy. So I asked Son#1. Son#1 either didn't understand my questions, or didn't understand why I would ask those questions, so he went his way. I can see that he's trying. But unless you ask the doctor educated and scientific questions, he will never give you a straight answer! Ah I was ready to pull my hair out.

They have been lead to many different paths. Since they're not dedicated to any, none of the treatments have had much success. I told them buying medicine from a newspaper advertisement with anonymous testimonials is not a good decision. I wanted to explain the process of scientific research, peer reviews, medical testing, etc etc. But I could see from all of their eyes that they didn't want any of this.

All they want is revert back to The Matrix.

All they want is continue with what they're doing now. Fighting everyday; yet blindfolded so they somehow do not have to see the reality, and they sort of expect she will be cured in 2 months.

This reminds me of the movie "2 Become 1". After hearing she was diagnose with breast cancer, Miriam didn't want to face it. She decided to flip the coin. "Head means I'll be cured, and Tail means I'll be cured immediately."



------

In the afternoon, Son#1 invited me to his buddy's pool party. There was no swimming (which was a good thing, cuz all the girls there were u-g-l-y.) But man, the host was rich. I think the house was about 4000 sq ft, made with complete marbles! Floor, all walls, ceiling, sink, all complete marbles. The downside: the house was a bit cold to the touch.

The host's father is a surgeon.

Another reason to go to school.

Well, if you don't have a rich dad and wish to a mansion someday.

---

I began to think about my purpose in NY.

Am I here to spend one week of family time with KaiMa?

Am I here to share with her the gospel?

Am I here to help them with my school knowledge?

What?

Tell me!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i think spread gospel and spend family time with ur Kai Ma are the two things u need to do lah... we'll keep you and ur kai ma in our prayers... u addoil! you may not be able to save her life on earth, but you can save her eternal life! May God give you extra strength.

DayCow 地球外星人 said...

Bring her out of the matrix and into the our Father's love. You can do it.

Keep in prayers

Haines said...

By reading your post …
I feel you …
I may not understand your feeling …
But I really feel the sense of uncertainty …
Don’t know what to do next …

I believe it in prayer …
Not lip-service …

You are just in my prayer …